Saturday, March 5, 2011

Family and Treatments

I'm not sure what all I have mentioned so far but the results of my MRI were not that great. For the first time I could actually tell that something wasn't right and could tell what was suppose to be there and what wasn't. I was very scared but I understood why I was having as many problems as I was. Being very lethargic and having lots of migraines. Things were randomly coming back in my brain and some in my cervical spinal cord and possibly in other areas of my spinal cord : /  My doctor was trying not to cry, I could definitely see the tears welling up. She told me that this was beyond her expertiece and wanted to get in touch with the experts in the field to find out their suggestions. 


After finding out this very sad news regarding the MRI results I decided I wanted my family to come out to be there when my doctors discussed my options. I had always gone out to visit them when I get this kind of news but based on the reaction from my doctor I felt it was time for them to come out to me and be there to hear what the doctor said.


My family (Mom, Dad, Rachel, Michael, my nephews and Stephanie) drove out on Wednesday and stayed in Denver that evening. I met them in Denver Thursday with Jana. Surprisingly we all stayed fairly calm throughout the discussion, which lasted over an hour I'm sure maybe even close to two hours. There were lots of things we discussed about possible treatments, even alternative treatments. I've (along with my family) have decided that I would stay out in Colorado to continue treatment. My mom has also decided to stay out here with me for awhile, not sure how long but at least for awhile.


After the doctors appointment we went out to the Old Spaghetti Factory with Wanda and Stacey Smith and their boys. Wanda had taken care of my nephews while we were talking with Dr. Dameck. They went over to the children's hospital and played over there. It was such a beautiful day. The OSF was so much fun I love the fact that they have balloon makers around. All the boys were so excited! Colton had a sword made and then when Triston had his turn he said that he wanted a sword that was bigger than Colton's, it was so funny, and he got just that!


For the weekend we stayed at the house that is owned by the church where my sister attends (Tri-Lakes). It didn't have as many rooms as I thought it did but it worked out well, 3 rooms and  6 beds for a total of 7 adults and 3 kids. All the boys in one room and the girls separated into the other two. It was nice that we could all be together for the weekend even though it did get kinda stressful on occassion. It was also very nice because various members of the church had prepared food for us along with stocking the refrigerator. There was LOTS of desserts too!


Saturday was a little more stressful, partially because there was going to be a fondue party at the house that evening for the people from the church along with us wanting to do. I wasn't feeling that great that day but I went ahead and went to garden of the gods with everyone and just chilled in the car while everyone else ran around. They all seemed amazed at how beautiful it was especially Michael, Rachel and the boys. I'm pretty sure everyone else had already seen the area at some point. I think Michael might have been the most impressed. Of course we had to make a stop at the gift shop. I didn't do much shopping but Rachel and Stephanie got some really beautiful stuff and of course my nephews picked out some really fun things!


We had some troubles when we got back to the house and ended up having a family discussion in the basement while people were arriving for the fondue party that night. It's just so hard bringing together so many people with all their expectations, opinions and agendas. Yes everyone came because I asked them to, but at the same time it was like a family vacation and then you have other people who have this as their life and still have responsibilities. It was tough but we made it through and I hope everyone is understanding each other better.


At some point we went to Five Guys Burgers and Fries, mmmm yummy! Just some advice we got two large things of fries for all of us and there was still some left over. Be cheap and share!


Monday mom and I went to meet with the radiologist. It was very interesting because I thought I had gotten the most radiation that I could but I guess I was wrong because they can and are giving me more. So I will be doing 15 treatments of brain radiation and radiation to a very small portion of my cervical spine. The circumstances aren't good but it was so great to see the radiation technologists again! They are such amazing people and such a joy to talk to! Dr. Chen said that I could still go to Washington DC. I'm hoping and praying that I am feeling even better by then!


Tuesday I had radiation and chemotherapy. The chemotherapy that I'm going to be taking are all pills. They had the lomustine for me but not the other one yet. My current insurance doesn't have enough prescription coverage so my doctor is getting in contact with the company that supplies it to get it for a reduced price. When I was on temodar I was able to get that for free which was such a blessing! Mom and I ended up staying at the infusion center and resting. My head was fuzzy and I wanted to rest so even though I just took pills and didn't do an infusion they let me stay there and rest in their reclining chairs and I watched ice age 3, it was so cute! 


This week I've felt fairly decent. I want to say the radiation is already working. I haven't had really intense migraines or headaches. Although it's not that different from last time it seems much faster! We drive down, takes about an hour, and then within just a few minutes I go back to my machine they put my mask on me and then the radiation takes no more than a minute (maybe two (absolutely tops)) and then I'm done and we drive back! And then no worrying about rush hour traffic! :D


Mom and I worked on cleaning my room and the living space next to my room to get prepared for the bed that was being brought in for her. It feels so nice to have a clean room! Mom has been great with cooking and cleaning and helping out around the house. I'm so thankful for everything she is helping me with.


This morning I woke up with a migraine : ( I stayed in bed for a few extra hours and finally got out of bed around 10 but I'm feeling a ton better now!


Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.


Psalms 121:1-2
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from where cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad we both got to see our families! As always, take it easy. :) I love my measterly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, my name is Chuck Eakins.. I have been preaching at Strafford for a few months while the congregation is looking for a "full time" preacher.

    I have been impressed with the love of the family there and the very real concern and love they have for each other. It is also very evident the impression you have made of the lives of the members at Strafford and the love you share with and for one another.

    I just want to say I feel I already know you and that I believe you are a very special young lady. Be assured that you are in my prayers and thoughts as well as those of my wife Millie. God bless you as you continue to fight the battle that you have before you.

    I know that our God will give you strength.

    In Christian Love Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Megan, Hang in there girl. I have known you and loved you since you were 6 months old, when I took care of you and your sisters for several hours a day. Then when teaching you in class at church when you were 5 years old I was so proud of you because you were so smart. You are still so smart! You have shown us that you can do anything you set your mind to. Keep on setting you mind on the future and keep on going, like the energizer bunny!!! God be with you. Love you, Dorothy LAWSON

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in our prayers. Ron and Alison Cutsinger

    ReplyDelete