Sunday, April 10, 2011

April's Dr's appointment

Jana my mom and I went to see Dr. Dameck on Wednesday, Laura met us there, eventually. She had to park so extremely far away, the hospital was packed.  We got there super early and did a lot of waiting around. I had several issues to tell Dr. Dameck about.
Here is a quick list:
  • Conjunctivitis and scratched/irritated eyes
  • Drippy nose and dry nose
  • Balance issues
  • Mild headaches
  • Swelling/puffiness
My evaluation went good except for my balance. I was for the first time unable to keep myself stable when just standing on one foot. 

So I've gained weight and I don't like it one bit at all! It is mostly due to the steroids and their side effects along with the fact that I haven't really been able to exercise, going up a flight of stairs can tire me out. I don't have much energy. Well I mentioned the fact that it was probably mostly water weight and once I was off the steroids a lot of it would go away and then my doctor chimed in and said actually it's hydrated fat (pretty sure that is what was said but the main thing was that it was FAT) Being the avid execiser I used to be I know that in order to get rid of fat you have to do cardio, something that I can barely do any of currently. I started bawling... followed by laughter in the midst of sobs. I said:

 "I cry when they tell me it's fat, I cry when they tell me I'm going to lose my hair, but when they tell me I have brain cancer... eh that's cool I can deal with that."

I felt so silly. My platelet counts are down so my immune system is down and my bilruby  (something having to do with my liver) counts are high.



I had an infusion of Avastin and it took a long time for them to get me stuck. My normal infusionista was even having a difficult time. She tried twice and couldn't get it and then one girl tried my hand and then the woman who was the best at hand sticks finally got me. I got stuck a total of five times :/

We did have some fun though and we all chatted with the nurses, we are friends! They are so fun and upbeat and we always seem to chat it up when we run across each other even when I'm not in the office or the infusion center.

So what's next:
  • Tarceva nightly
  • MRI in 2 weeks
  • Lomustine in 2 weeks
  • Avastin in 4 weeks
  • Steroids, slowly work myself down from them 0.25 mg every couple of weeks

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you, my measterly. And you're still beautiful, as always. :D

    ReplyDelete